Policies and Procedures for Design, Print, and Mail Services
The purpose of this policy is to define the requirements and process for design, print, and mail services from ETSU Creative Services Departments: University Relations, Biomedical Communications, and ETSU Postal Services.
Creative Services departments are to be used for all identity, design, print (including digital/offset printing), mail (including use of variable data and bulk mail procedures), promotional items, advertising, displays, signage, and other relevant media/materials. Personnel from these Creative Services departments will be available for consultation throughout the design and production process.
Exemptions to this policy include scientific posters, classroom instructional materials, student assignments, scholarly publications such as journal articles, and conference slide presentations.
- All units except Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates will initate design services through University Relations.
- Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates will initiate and process design and print services through Biomedical Communications.
1. Design departments will work with the customer to determine the most effective and efficient methods for production.
- ETSU Postal Services have sole management responsibility for USPS nonprofit and business reply permits.
- Any use of these permits for off campus mailings must be coordinated in advance.
- All bulk mailing shall be processed through ETSU Postal Services.
- ETSU Postal Services will work with the customer to determine the most effective and efficient method for shipping.
d. PROMOTIONAL ITEMS
- Only officially licensed vendors may produce merchandise bearing the ETSU trademarks [ETSU Trademark and Licensing].
- The Office of University Relations must approve all designs for advertisement prior to production. This includes online, print, radio, TV, billboards, sponsorships, etc. (excludes journal pages and job postings).
The Office of Universtiy Relations must approve all representations of the university (i.e. logos). All representations must comply with ETSU Identity Standards.
b. STATE AND FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS
- Printing: University Relations will manage assignment and reporting of ETSU publication numbers. [T.C.A. 12-7-104]
- Promotional Items:
- State funds cannot be used to purchase apparel or promotional items for state employees, unless the item, for example apparel, is required to perform the duties of the position and would not be worn outside the work scope [IRS Publication 15 Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide, Wages not paid in money; IRS Publication 529 Miscellaneous Deductions, Work Clothes and Uniforms].
- Foundation funds may be used to purchase products with a maximum value of $50 for students, faculty, or staff with limits by the IRS of one item per year per person.
- ETSU is a tax-exempt organization and therefore entities are not permitted to resell merchandise for fundraising or any other purposes.
- Competitive pricing is required at state bid limits [T.C.A. 12-3-503].
Authority: IRS Publication 15 Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide, Wages not paid in money ; IRS Publication 529 Miscellaneous Deductions, Work Clothes and Uniforms, T.C.A. 12-3-503; T.C.A. 12-7-104
a. DESIGN SERVICES
- University departments should initiate design service requests from the Office of University Relations.
- Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates should initiate design service requests from Biomedical Communications.
b. PRINT SERVICES
- University departments initiate print service requests from the Office of University Relations.
- Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates should initiate print service requests from Biomedical Communications.
c. MAIL SERVICES
- University departments, Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates contact ETSU Postal Services.
d. PROMOTIONAL ITEMS
- University departments contact the Office of University Relations.
- Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates contact Biomedical Communications.
- University departments, Quillen College of Medicine and ETSU Physicians & Associates contact the Office of University Relations.
VII. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
a. BMC Creative website: https://www.bmccreative.org
b. ETSU Identity: https://www.etsu.edu/identity
c. Biomedical Communications: https://www.etsu.edu/com/biomedcomm
d. ETSU Postal Services: https://www.etsu.edu/bf/postoffice